Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Software and modding » Gaming

Post subject: Interview With Valve's HL2DM Mapping Contest Winner
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:16 am 
Techie
Techie

This interview is with Scott M Jordon aka Kamikaze creator of the classic dod maps seg3 and schwetz and winner of the hl2dm mapping contest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Kamikaze

Q) At what point did you decide to start Mapping and why?

I was a Rainbow Six junkie back when it first came out. I learned to modify the maps a bit, such as replacing the textures, adding models here and there, adjust the lighting, re-skin players. I even made a couple total conversion modifications that added new weapons and whatnot.

Then when I was twelve years old, my cousin gave me a copy of Half-Life so I could play Team Fortress Classic, plus I saw the Sherman Project, and wanted that really bad. It looked so much like Rainbow Six, but a different engine.

I found Worldcraft and started messing around. Eventually I joined a failed WWII mod called War In Europe, and then got invited by a friend to work on Day of Defeat. Since then I have been hooked.

Q) What was your inspiration for dm_underpass?

First I ran around Half-Life 2 single player with god mode and no clip on, taking hundreds of screenshots to use as a reference for Valve style architecture. Then I sat down for a few hours and browsed Google images, looking at industrial pictures. Picking the six I liked most, and making them into underpass. It took quite a few tries to get the look I have now. I wanted the player to feel surrounded by an active city, but would be in an older part that is not visited by the average person, as if they started building the city over this part of land, and sort of forgot about it.

Q) How does it feel to have your work recognized by Valve in such a public manner?

Can’t put it into words. Just doesn’t seem real. These are the people who made Half-Life. HALF-LIFE!!!!

Q) Did you think you had a chance of winning, and were you totally shocked when your work was chosen above all the other entries?

I didn’t expect to win at all. I had never made a DM map before. Without the help of Mapcore, and Steam forums critique, I would have lost. Shout out to SilentSounD for setting up the test server.

Valve sent out the private emails to the winners 3 weeks late. Of course I didn’t know they were late and assumed I lost. So I packaged up my map with a few more fixes and released it on the Steam forums. Then I got an email late at night, on February 25th, saying I was the “overall winner”. First thing I did was check out the background of the email sender to verify. After I saw it was real, I sort of freaked out and went into shock, couldn’t move for five minutes. Once I regained my composure, I messaged molotov_billy and told him the news. We did a sort of “Hold hands and spin around dance”.

Q) Do You Agree That Dod Mappers are amongst the best in the Half-life community?

I don’t personally think you can say one community is better than the other, I have seen a lot of good maps from all over.

Q) Do you have any plans to convert your old maps (Seg3, Schwetz etc.) over to the source engine?

Maybe ;=)

Q) Are you working on any other Projects at present?

Trying to get a portfolio together so I can get a gaming job. (Don’t ever work at Walgreen’s).

Q) What would you like to see in DoD:S?

Smoke trails from the grenade fuses, more accurate Garand and K43. The ability to deploy on crouched team members. Be able to go from prone to crouch, and crouch to prone.

Q) What would you say is the most exciting aspect of DoD on the source engine?

Rag dolls! People getting blown up and flying right past you is a good rush. Also the high quality sound really improves the gaming experience. I think those two make up for the older models.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:56 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Is there a realse date for DoD yet?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:29 pm 
Techie
Techie

theres no official date but as ive said before ive got my contacts :p They say 2 months at the most

Board index » Software and modding » Gaming